Monday, March 8, 2010

PENCHANT

March 5, 2010

Penchant
\’pen-chent\ n : a strong and continued inclination; broadly : a liking*

As I have grown older, my tastes have changed; I have developed new hobbies such as fine-tuning my photography, maintaining my blog, and cleaning my house more than once every three months. Although, there is one penchant that has always been a part of my life and will probably continue to ease my stress by allowing me to enter into different character’s worlds.
I love to read. I have always loved it, the first piece I remember being a short story of Rohl Dahl’s and reading it aloud to my dad while sitting at the kitchen table awaiting my breakfast. I was five. Reading has been like a second home to me, permitting me to escape in to fictional worlds and, (as I got older), circumstances and environments that couldn’t be more real and that I was grateful to not have had encounter them before I was ready.
Dr. Seuss thrilled me with his rhymes and when I grew tired of his childish games, I settled for sitting on the edge of my seat with R.L. Stine in my hands, awaiting the next thriller in the Goosebumps series. My literary journeys soon encompassed more mature storytellers such as Mary Higgins Clark and James Patterson. Within the last two years, my passion for absorbing the written word has progressed and now I love quirky novels that may not have been featured in the local magazine but that which make me laugh, cry or deeply ponder life’s dealings.
As I grow older, I know that my ability to obtain knowledge through someone else’s views will continue to evolve and enable me to get lost on the streets of Germany or in the labyrinth of the Catecombs while trying to decipher a hidden message…

second letter “e” is upside down producing sound of “uh”

No comments: