Sunday, March 14, 2010

MORDACIOUS

March 11, 2010

Mordacious
\mor-‘da-shes\ adj 1: biting or given to biting 2: biting or sharp in manner or style : caustic*

There are many people in this world with varying personalities. There are those individuals whom you love to interact with and then there are those who rattle you and make your eagerness to help quickly diminish by the second. More often than not, these individuals are mothers; creatures of a different breed, creatures that have an innate ability to protect their offspring and to make your life a living hell if you threaten their copasetic balance.
It was a crazy Thursday at work and due our policy, a little girl whose mother had not arrived to pick her up yet came to sit with me behind the front desk. I was so busy, I barely noticed her or the phone constantly ringing off the hook…
I finally had a minute to breathe and the phone rang yet again. I contemplated ignoring it this time, however something told me to answer it. On the other end, a mother was panicked and was talking a mile a minute, worried sick that she wasn’t there to pick up her beloved daughter. I tried to calm her down by reassuring her that Susie** was indeed behind the desk with me. Well, apparently she didn’t really care about Susie’s whereabouts but more about yelling at me, because she ripped into me like I was a murderer demanding ransom for her beloved child.
I quietly put this mordacious monster in her place and hung up the phone; ready to be done with babysitting Susie and answering irate phone calls.

*letter “e” is upside down creating sound of “uh”

**name changed

No comments: