Sunday, April 4, 2010

VIRTUOSO

April 2, 2010

Virtuoso
\’ver-chü-o-so\ n 1: a person skilled in the fine arts 2: one who excels in the technique of an art or other endeavor; especially : a highly skilled musical performer*

In college, I focused dually on film and journalism. In addition to writing, I loved acting and thought if the drama club wasn’t necessarily my nice, I could go to class for three hours and watch drama, love, comedy and many other genres unfold before me on the big screen. However, as great as film is, my one true love is none other than theater.
Any chance I have to see a broadway show I am the first one in line (preferably at the TKTS booth; times are hard). Theater makes me feel alive. I thrive on the actors’ energy, the way they light up the stage with their passion. Supplementing the acting, is the music (I’m a sucker for musicals – Phantom being my favorite). The virtuosos that inhabit the orchestra pit really add flavor and pizzazz to the environment and make the theater itself feel like a home away from home for me. Any show would not be successful if not for the individuals behind the scenes, from the director to the set designers. These people permit the show to happen and happen well.
All the different aspects of theater make me giddy with excitement and raring to go when a friend mentions yet another show we must see.

*letter “e” is upside down creating sound of “uh”

No comments: