Sunday, April 11, 2010

ABSINTHE

April 9, 2010

Absinthe
\’ab-sinth\ n : a green liqueur flavored with wormwood, anise, and other aromatic herbs that is illegal to produce in many countries

People often find illegal things irresistible; the allure of going against the flow, breaking the rules, easy. When I say illegal things, I mean trivial components in life, not anything on the murder spectrum (although there are fans of that sport too). I believe in college, the attraction of underage drinking was primarily due to the feeling of being “bad” sip after sip; the “will I get caught,” factor lingering in the background, making anyone and everyone eager to do what was so blatantly wrong. Drinking can be fun if done responsibly and there are definitely tasty drinks that allow inhibitions to be eradicated. I enjoy a social drink every now and again, light with only a slight taste of the alcohol within which it is mixed. I know for certain that the dangerous and (only recently) legal Absinthe would definitely not make its way into my drink.

No comments: